Monday, January 13, 2014

Othello 3

1. What is a tragic flaw? What do you believe is Othello's tragic flaw? What is your tragic flaw? Explain.

A tragic flaw is a flaw that causes someone to unravel. Basically, it's a flaw that leads to their destruction. Othello's tragic flaw is trusting people too easily. He gives his trust to many people, based just on how they look. My tragic flaw is kindness. I would do anything for the people in my life, even if it came to putting myself out. It is a good thing to an extent, but at times kindness can be mistaken for weakness. After being too kind to someone, they tend to take things you do for granted, and the ability to be taken advantage of comes easily.

2. Below is the Shakespearean and modern version of Othello. Examine the quote about a good reputation. What does Iago mean through this quote? How valuable do you believe a reputation is? What is your reputation? What kind of name do you have amongst others?                                                                                                                                                                                        
Iago explains that an individual's reputation can not be replaced like money. By ruining someone's reputation one gains nothing, however the other person loses all they are known for. A reputation means a lot in my understanding. One is always judged by what they are known for, because your actions now can easily reflect in the future. I believe I have a good reputation as being honest, caring, and big hearted. The names I would carry amongst others would include a good friend, faithful girlfriend, loving daughter, well listener and trustworthy.
 
3. Connect this quote to another film/movie/book or to your own personal life.
 
This quote speaks very deep to me, because the quote's meaning is so true. Over thinking things can kill happiness, and cause burdens that does not even exist. I do this often in my life and it can be a harsh burden to carry. My imagination could easily destroy me if I let it. I think about a situation and connect things to make it even worse on my peace of mind. I now know that one should not add greif to a situation, but to take the facts and deal with them straightforward.

No comments:

Post a Comment